This position plans and directs the requirements phase of application system changes that support corporate strategic information requirements or business strategies that impact productivity. The Business Analyst takes a lead role in the development of systems requirements (data gathering), functional and business specifications, and RFPs. The incumbent will track, monitor and communicate project progress against the project plan and requirements. The Business Analyst will assume lead role in project work but will not have a supervisory relationship with other staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with project managers to define scope and business requirements of the project, participate in the planning of relevant phases of projects, identify risks and recommended risk management approach
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis.
- Develop and document work plans, requirements documents and functional specifications documents.
- Facilitates large sessions with stakeholders to elicit requirements and executes decision making / problem solving processes
- Analyzes project impact for potential conflict across systems and other business areas
- Aligns strategic project objectives with tactical demands.
- Work closely with the application development and the quality assurance team members during all stages of the system development life cycle and bridge the gap between business and technology sides of the solution.
- Work closely with the Quality Assurance team members in providing direction to the testing strategy and coverage of the test cases/scripts
- Act as the liaison between the client community and all departments within Technology & Development to ensure client needs are being met.
- Develop broad knowledge base of technology applications used to support business operations.
- Learn and adopt appropriate tools and methodologies for Business Analytics group – e.g., business/functional requirements gathering and documentation, of impacted business processes, quality assurance coverage.
- Ensure adherence to the structure and processes defined with the BA tools (e.g., SRS, Use Case methodology, data mapping, ).
- Maintain daily Issues log and Change Managements log.
- Manage user expectations and keep stakeholders informed of the progress
- Coordinate and assist users during user acceptance testing cycle of all projects.
- Contribute to quality improvement initiatives
- Champions change management methodologies and adapts to shifting business priorities
- Provides business analysis technical skills and direction to the business analysis team to promote industry best practices and process improvement initiatives
Education & Experience:
- A university degree in computer science or business
- Business Analyst Certification is considered an asset
- 7-8 years of prior business analysis experience
Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Strong knowledge of system development life cycle, technique and tools
- Knowledge of investment and security software systems and the business processes that are support by such software applications is an asset.
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of ITIL methodologies and best practices
Teaming and organization:
- Dedication to corporate strategy and driving accountability for results
- Strong understanding of the core business analysis concepts, tools and methodologies and ability to determine and assess/apply the appropriate concept within the project.
- Ability to identify opportunities to apply new methodologies/learnings to benefit across the organization
- Demonstrates organizational awareness by identifying and attaining support of key people to advance projects most effectively.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, in teams or individually
Management and leadership of client interactions
- Ability to work within a matrix organization structure, and respond to competing needs and priorities
- Demonstrates a strong presence and demeanor in meetings and discussions
- Deals with complex situations holistically, with confident decision-making skills
- Exhibits confidence and conviction when presenting his/her ideas and perspectives both verbally and in writing
- Excellent business writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong communication skills to all levels required including the ability to clearly articulate business needs, gaps and propose solutions
- High client service ethic and a proven record in delivering exemplary client satisfaction to external and internal client constituencies with the ability to communicate verbally and written complex ideas succinctly and clearly.
- Flexibility to collaborate with both technical and business colleagues